Monday, November 7, 2011

RockCon '11

I was pretty wiped by the time I got home yesterday after the drive home from the Gentlemen's Grand Tournament so I didn't write anything up.  Hopefully I haven't forgotten too much in the past 24 hours.

Let me start by saying I had a great time.  All the players I faced were great sports, I loved the mission setup and my dice were average.  I couldn't have asked for more!  Here's the vitals for the tournament before I get into my thoughts on my play.

Gentlemen's Grand Tournament
Where: RockCon, Rockford, IL
Participants: 30-32
Format: 5 rounds, Primary-Secondary-Tertiary objectives, Swiss pairings

Best Overall: Noah Schmelzer (Space Wolves, der)
1st Place: Tim Gorham (Grey Knights)
2nd Place: Steven Welch (Imperial Guard)
3rd Place: Jordan Nach (Imperial Guard)
Best Painted: Clayton McCarty (Dark Eldar)
Player's Choice: Steve Carlson (Space Marines)
Best Sports: Troy Weis (Space Marines)

That's right, you read that correctly, I ninja'ed another one!  I don't know how the tournament organizer's rubric worked for scoring, but I can tell you I was surprised as hell when he called my name.  I went 3-2 on the weekend so my sports and painting score must have given me a serious boost.  I'll give a quick and dirty breakdown of my games, don't expect too much, I don't love writing battle reports (gasp!).


Round 1
Opponent: Troy Weis - Space Marines
I lost to a Shrike list, he only had a Dreadnought, two Tactical Marines and two shelled Razorbacks left.  I had a lot left but I played too conservatively and the game ended on turn 5, much to my chagrin.  The highlight of the game was sucking half his Terminators and his Librarian into the ground with Jaws of the World Wolf.  Not a clean game by this guy but I learned a ton about my army, especially the strengths and limitations of my new units (Thunderwolf Lord, Scouts).  Record: 0-1

Round 2
Opponent: Matt Bartley - Imperial Guard
Standard Mechanized guard list.  I had first turn, it was Dawn of War deployment and there was a large piece of blocking terrain in the middle of the table.  Those three things contributed to my victory over Matt.  Wolf Scouts are the (melta) bomb.  Record: 1-1

Round 3
Opponent: Matt Raatz - Daemons of Chaos
Nurgle Daemons led by Ku'gath and Epidemius.  I felt in control of this game from the outset.  I was lucky enough to Jaws Ku'gath before he did too much damage and my Wolf Lord carved up Plaguebearers like it was his job....which it is....  Record: 2-1

Round 4
Opponent: Tony Malave - Space Wolves
I think Tony won this tournament last year, I could be wrong though.  In any case, he was a very good player and introduced me to a true razorwolf list.  I was able to keep it close by turtling behind blocking terrain and making forays out with non scoring units to inflict as much damage as I could.  In the end, he got the primary, I got the secondary and he may have gotten the tertiary but I can't remember.  Record: 2-2

Round 5
Opponent: Jarred Saxman - Imperial Guard
Jarred was a ton of fun to play and handled some atrocious dice rolling like a champ.  He had first turn and I just threw my stuff out to get blown away and he completely wiffed.  I was able to take control with some accurate melta shots and barely hung on for a win.  Record: 3-2

I'm going to be honest, I'm rushing through this so I can go back and bury my nose in my shiny new Necron Codex.  Here's pics of the new units all finished up and battle hardened.  TTFN.

-Noah



No comments:

Post a Comment